January 29, 1929: Shortly after a grand opening gala and a few weeks of solid booking by curious locals, the upper floors of the hotel were rented to Scott & White Hospital for hotel accommodation for families of patients and for outpatient care.
1933: The Great Depression wreaked havoc on the Kyle Hotel, forcing a change in hotel management due to financial difficulties brought on by the economic crisis and low hotel occupancy rates. Dr Arthur C. Scott and WW Kyle, a wealthy businessman from Beaumont who helps finance the construction of the hospital, together bought the company’s share capital and a new 15-year lease was signed between management and Scott & White Hospital. But throughout the 1930s and 1940s, hospital use of the hotel remained about the same – that of accommodation for patients’ families in the hospital and outpatient care.
1951: The hotel was described in hospital literature as the “Kyle Hotel Convalescent Center” for outpatient care and was one of five ancillary units then supporting a large physical factory on Avenue G. In 1960, The Kyle’s downstairs banquet facilities were expanded by demolishing a patio with a fountain.
1963: The hospital / hotel relationship continued when Scott & White moved to a new site at the south end of Temple. This decision dealt a severe blow to the hotel’s financial stability. Shortly after Scott & White opened on 31st Street, new hotels such as the Hospitality Inn followed. But even after the move, the hospital’s board continued to hold their regular board meetings at the Kyle.
1965: The occupancy rate of hotels is down. The hotel was transformed into an apartment hotel as its public spaces were increasingly rented out to civic and social groups to generate income.
1973-1974: After the death of WW Kyle in 1973, Brudge Kyle, his brother and executor of his estate, attempted to sell the hotel. His effort failed and Brudge closed the hotel in 1974 due to low occupancy and loss of income caused by the loss of hospital patronage, the energy crisis, and other factors. The remaining 22 residents and storefront businesses have moved.
1979: In 1979, Kyle sold the hotel to Walker County investors. Some exterior renovations (including the replacement of many original wooden sash windows) were done in 1981 under this property, but the business was undercapitalized and the property was taken over by the loan agency.
1989: The current owner, The Temple Kyle Partnership, purchases the property.
In collaboration with Temple architect Robert Weaver and Temple contractor Bob Lowe Construction Co., the owner renovated the building and converted the interior into retirement apartments. The work, carried out under the rehabilitation tax credit program, was completed in August 1991.
1993: The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
January 1, 2005: Temple Housing Authority entered into an agreement with Temple Kyle Limited Partnership to purchase the property. Since becoming the owner, the Housing Authority has focused on the rehabilitation of the building and continues to operate it as Section 8 housing.
Source: Barbara Bozon, Executive Director of the Central Texas Housing Authority