Amazon is testing a program that will help shoppers identify products from small businesses – however, only brands and artisans are eligible for the program.
Sellers who own their own brand and meet the eligibility criteria can register with the Brand Registry to participate in the new small business program.
Amazon announced, “We are first starting to test the Small Business badge on a subset of eligible product detail pages in the United States, and plan to scale further as we learn how the badge can help help customers discover the small business products they love.
Amazon has provided a Small Business Product Program FAQ:
- What is a small business in the Amazon store?
In the United States, we follow Gartner’s definition of small business. Small businesses are eligible for this badge if they are registered with the Brand Registry or participate in the Handmade program. The specific products that receive the badge come from US-based small business and artisan brands. We are currently testing the Small Business badge and not all customers will see the badge on all eligible small business products during this test.
- What are the benefits of being identified as a small business in the Amazon store?
The badge will tell customers that the products they are viewing are from a small business. Additionally, small businesses will have the opportunity to be included in special events and promotions in the Amazon store.
- How do I know if my business is registered as a small business?
If your branded products have the Small Business badge on their product detail page in the Amazon store where your business is based, that means your business is enrolled in the program.
- Is there a cost to be identified as a small business in the Amazon store?
No, participation is completely free for eligible companies.
- Are all my products enrolled in this program?
If your business meets the eligibility criteria to be identified as a small business in the Amazon store, all of your registered brand products will be listed.
- Can I withdraw products from my Small Business brand from participation in this program
At this time, we do not allow the exclusion of specific products. If you do not wish to participate, you may choose to remove your business from the program completely by contacting Selling Partner Support (this may take up to two business days to reflect on the store).
- I believe my business qualifies, what is the process for confirming that I have a trademark registered small business?
You can contact Selling Partner Support, provide your brand and company name, business address, and Merchant Token ID, and our team will review your eligibility for the program. You can expect a response within 10 business days of your initial request.
- How long will my small business be included in this program?
As long as your business meets our eligibility criteria, your branded products will remain featured in the Amazon store where your business is based.
- I have sales accounts with Amazon in several countries. Will my products be part of this program in all stores where my products are sold?
We will feature the Small Business badge in the Amazon store where your business is based.
- How do I report a potential error, such as a large business being mistakenly identified as a small business?
You can contact Selling Partner Support and report the business in question, and we’ll investigate.
- Is this program only running for a limited time or event, like Prime Day?
We are currently testing this program and will share more updates in the future.
- I am not a brand owner. Do you allow my products to be enrolled in the program?
Current functionality is limited to small businesses that are enrolled in Brand Registry or participating in the Amazon Handmade program. If you have your own small business brand and meet the eligibility criteria, register your brand with the Brand Registry to participate. After registration, you can contact Selling Partner Support, provide your brand and business name, business address, and merchant token ID, and our team will perform a separate assessment to confirm that your business is eligible. You can expect a response within 10 business days of your initial request.
- Why do I need to register my brand with the Amazon Brand Registry to qualify for the Small Business badge program since I am a Small Business brand owner as defined by my country?
Amazon Brand Registry is a free service that provides brand owners with active trademarks access to a set of powerful tools that help them manage and protect their brands and intellectual property rights. To contact the Amazon Brand Registry team regarding registration, click here. Our Brand Registry support team specialists are available to assist you with issues related to protecting your brand on Amazon.
You can find Wednesday’s announcement and read seller feedback on Seller Central on Amazon.com. He did not provide an image of the new badge.